Back to all jobs
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING IN SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Our client is a social enterprise on a mission to quickly and significantly reduce the amount of plastic waste produced and stop it polluting our rivers and seas. Having established themselves as both a global thought leader and a highly practical actor in the plastic pollution space, they are now at an extremely exciting stage of growth.
We're looking for a Head of Comms and Marketing to develop, coordinate and implement a powerful and creative communications strategy. They’re an ambitious start-up - working with our leadership and comms and delivery teams, you will put the organisation on the map, positioning them as an exciting, trusted, practical pioneer in the plastic pollution space. You will have extensive experience in the environmental or social justice sector and be able to demonstrate an in-depth and nuanced understanding of the scale of the challenges our world faces.
A seasoned media and communications professional, you will draw on your experience to help their organisation grow and keep delivering impact in line with their objectives. You’ll balance big-picture strategic thinking with highly effective and efficient tactical execution; a creative and entrepreneurial soul that’s tempered by a love of project management and facilitation.
You will have proven experience in branding, marketing (identifying and acquiring growth opportunities) strategic communications (digital, social and content marketing), behaviour change campaigns (storytelling and public relations) and delivering complex international projects – on time, to budget and in good spirits.
You’ll be happy to work remotely, but regularly get in the same room as our core team in Totnes.
You are a practical, dynamic and hands-on leader who thrives on the challenge of developing and holding processes and coordinating teams and agencies. You lead by example with accountability and high emotional intelligence. You have a personal passion for sustainability and social issues.
This is a young and rapidly growing company and we hope you will build beautiful supportive relationships with your colleagues based across London, Greece, Maldives and Indonesia. Through their partners and programmes, they are connected to an exciting and influential network of teammates, funders, private sector, public sector and international organisations.
Their communications are focused around #knowledgeispower, with the overarching objective to reduce the production of single-use plastics by 50% by 2030. Core programmes include:
They offer competitive compensation and benefits, a flexible work environment with travel to project sites, and support for personal development, including regular talks from leading experts and continuous training/learning experiences.
Reports to: CEO
Location: Hybrid working (offices in London and Totnes) and remote working is an option for the right candidate
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Start Date: ASAP
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Comms and Marketing strategy
- Launching the world's first plastic reporting tool and coach for hospitality businesses.
- Supporting ten Small Island Development States to set baselines, design policy and negotiate a robust United Nations Global Plastics Treaty.
- Building on our recent discovery of plastic in our blood, to publish more research to advance knowledge of the harm plastic causes to our health.
- Develop and oversee implementation of the Marketing and Comms strategy, which includes identifying marketing, fundraising and growth opportunities
- Set clear organisational, programme and campaign objectives & KPIs, and measure and monitor progress towards them
- Responsible for Comms and Marketing budget, retaining and managing the right agencies and contractors
- Work closely with leadership team, including CEO, Director of Programmes and Chief Operating Officer
Brand, Content & Campaigns
- Coordinate, streamline and project manage all Comms and Marketing across organisational and country-level teams.
- Manage multiple projects and campaigns and respond to emerging priorities.
- Work with external Marketing and Comms resource, including press and public relations.
- Organisational powerhouse – keeping your team up to speed on tasks and due dates, ensuring project plans stay on track.
- Develop and improve project management systems – or manage the outsourcing of this.
- Facilitation – convening team members and other stakeholders and creating consensus.
Management and people
- Spearhead the development of creative communications of systems thinking.
- Oversee design and production of content and campaigns - from ideation to strategy, implementation and review.
- Support our team to deliver world-changing creative, while providing consistent direction and quality control.
- Strong creative sense - know what's good design and copy (and be able to feedback in line with this).
How to apply:
Send your CV and a one-page Cover Letter (titled ‘Head of Comms & Marketing) as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Develop skills across the core and in-country teams (content, copy and design).
- Develop creative process and support comms team to create their best possible work.
- Identify any bottlenecks in resource and recruit accordingly.
- Manage recruitment within core comms function